19 Grove St., PO Box 58, Peterborough, N.H.  03458        603-924-3235       Hours: Wed-Sat   10 a.m. – 4 p.m.     Contact Info and Directions

Newsletter Donate2Calendar  
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Pinterest

  • Monadnock Center Blog

    Post 09 01 14crop

    The District #8 Schoolhouse

    Michelle Stahl ~ September 2, 2014

    The Monadnock Center for History & Culture preserves four historic buildings at its downtown Peterborough campus including the District #8 Schoolhouse. This brick one-room schoolhouse was donated to the Center in the 1990’s.  The school was built in 1824, one of several brick schoolhouses erected that year.  Peterborough was unusual because the town chose to build brick structures rather than the less expensive wood-frame schoolhouses typical of that time. The schoolhouse was located on Middle Hancock Road.  It was disassembled and moved brick-by-brick to the museum property and is now the centerpiece of Monadnock Center’s education programs for young people.  Every year, children visit the schoolhouse and get a taste of school in the 19th century.  The children take part read more→

    Col. Ebenezer Hinsdale’s Garrison Company

    Gearing up for the 275th Anniversary Celebration

    Michelle Stahl ~ August 18, 2014

    After more than two years of planning, the celebration of Peterborough’s 275th anniversary is just around the corner! The big celebration will happen on October 11 but there are also concerts, programs and other activities happening from October 10 through October 18 throughout town. A schedule is available on the anniversary website at Peterborough275.org. Check back often, as the schedule is being fine-tuned with more additions to come! The Monadnock Center is proud to be “Anniversary Central” throughout the fall months with our settlement exhibit, Along the River: 18th Century Settlement in the Contoocook Valley that will be on view through November 29. We have an exciting line up of programs related to the settlement theme with three scholar talks, a series of Hearth Cooking read more→

    Wilton

    Uncovering the rarely told secrets of Wilton history

    Monadnock Ledger Transcript ~ August 12, 2014

    Wilton, like most New Hampshire hill towns, has a past that encapsulates many different eras of change and growth. Old Home Days is a great time to remember how fortunate we are that a great deal of our history — in the land itself, as well as in wood and brick and stone — has survived. Much, though, is now lost to us and lives only in memory or a few old photographs. We see our town every day, but are we aware of the gems that lie hidden all throughout it? Some of our history that did survive into this century is not always apparent or visible to the casual viewer. The Historical Society and the Heritage Commission are preparing a brochure and map that will be a driving/walking tour of the many points of interest in town. Here, as a kind of a sneak preview, are just a few samples of read more→

    Pulley

    The White Machine Shop

    Michelle Stahl ~ August 5, 2014

    This wooden pulley is from The White Machine Shop that operated at the corner of Elm and River Streets in Peterborough from 1876 to 1942. The pulley was part of the power train that ran the shop’s equipment using water power from the Elm Street dam.  Samuel G. White made pumps, governors, gas regulators and other light machinery at the two-story wood factory that was formerly occupied by Granville Felt’s machine shop and Dana Bickford who manufactured knitting machines. When automobiles came to town, White converted part of his plant to a garage, one of the first in Peterborough. White also did electrical work in town and used his shop to manufacture generators. His business continued until 1942 when he sold it to the Granite State Tool Company.  Granite State Tool machined small read more→

    Peterborough Shoe Factory

    The Shoe Factory

    Michelle Stahl ~ July 29, 2014

    In the 19th century Peterborough’s downtown was dominated by the various manufacturing facilities that were built to take advantage of the plentiful water power supplied by the Nubanusit and Contoocook rivers. This photograph from the Center’s archives shows the intersection of Main and Depot streets. The enormous five-story factory building behind the Baptist Church was built in 1884 as a shoe factory. The wood-frame factory was over 200 feet long and stood on what is now the parking area next to the Community Theater.  The factory was used for shoe making in the 1880’s and then was taken over by the Hagen & Ruefer Piano Company. The site was ideal for a piano manufacturer because it was just a stone’s throw from the depot where the pianos could be shipped. The piano read more→

Print This Page