19 Grove St. ~ PO Box 58 ~ Peterborough, NH 03458 ~ 603-924-3235 

 

Front Page Category

We are hiring!
By October 22, 2019 Read More →

We are hiring!

11/13/19- Update- We are pleased to welcome Laura as our new administrative assistant! The Monadnock Center is looking for an enthusiastic administrative assistant to join our team! If you know your way around Excel, Word, and the internet and have a friendly, can-do attitude, this could be the job for you! The Administrative Assistant is […]

Hermits
By October 3, 2015 Read More →

Hermits

My grandmother, Doris Morse, was not an experimental cook. She knew how to lay out a table with a variety of traditional New England fare. One of the reasons I remember her cooking so vividly is that it remained consistent: her rolls, her mashed potatoes, her turkey stuffing – always the same, always worthy of […]

Our Kitchen Garden
By August 15, 2015 Read More →

Our Kitchen Garden

August is Eat Local Month and the kitchen garden at the Phoenix Mill House takes us back to the original eat local days, when a patch of dooryard was planted, tended, and harvested. In our kitchen garden, we are growing beets, carrots, parsnips, beans, potatoes, and culinary herbs. Our little kitchen garden is just beginning […]

Becoming Nelson
By April 6, 2015 Read More →

Becoming Nelson

This article was written by Rick Church of Nelson, and was originally published on the Nelson town web site in December of 2009.  The close of the Revolution saw a much-changed town in the town that would eventually become Nelson – then known as Packersfield.  Breed Batchellor, the man who was ultimately the agent of […]

Monadnock Center is Non-profit of the Year!
By March 30, 2015 Read More →

Monadnock Center is Non-profit of the Year!

The Monadnock Center proudly accepted an award as Non-Profit of the Year, presented by the Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce on Thursday, March 26, at a Gala Banquet at the Peterborough Town House. The Center was one of four non-profits nominated in this category; additional awards were presented to Woman of the Year, Man of […]

Briggs’ Patent Portable Piano Stools
By September 28, 2014 Read More →

Briggs’ Patent Portable Piano Stools

The products of Peterborough’s industrial past form an important part of the Monadnock Center’s collection. This screw- style piano stool was produced by the Brigg’s Piano Stool Company between 1870 and 1891.  Joshua Briggs (b. 1825) began his career as a carpenter and soon produced piano stools as odd jobs for folks in town.  In […]

Letter from Antietam Creek
By September 25, 2014 Read More →

Letter from Antietam Creek

The Monadnock Center has a large archive of military materials including letters and diaries of Peterborough Civil War soldiers.  The following letter was written by John Addison Cummings (1838-1887), a young Army captain.  He mailed this letter from Antietam Creek on September 28, 1862 “Dear Mother: We are lying in camp here on the bank […]

The District #8 Schoolhouse
By September 2, 2014 Read More →

The District #8 Schoolhouse

The Monadnock Center for History & Culture preserves four historic buildings at its downtown Peterborough campus including the District #8 Schoolhouse. This brick one-room schoolhouse was donated to the Center in the 1990’s.  The school was built in 1824, one of several brick schoolhouses erected that year.  Peterborough was unusual because the town chose to […]

Gearing up for the 275th Anniversary Celebration
By August 18, 2014 Read More →

Gearing up for the 275th Anniversary Celebration

After more than two years of planning, the celebration of Peterborough’s 275th anniversary is just around the corner! The big celebration will happen on October 11 but there are also concerts, programs and other activities happening from October 10 through October 18 throughout town. A schedule is available on the anniversary website at Peterborough275.org. Check […]

The White Machine Shop
By August 5, 2014 Read More →

The White Machine Shop

This wooden pulley is from The White Machine Shop that operated at the corner of Elm and River Streets in Peterborough from 1876 to 1942. The pulley was part of the power train that ran the shop’s equipment using water power from the Elm Street dam.  Samuel G. White made pumps, governors, gas regulators and […]