19 Grove St. ~ PO Box 58 ~ Peterborough, NH 03458 ~ 603-924-3235 

Face masks are required to visit the Monadnock Center. 

Archives Research is now by appointment only. Please contact us at (603) 924-3235 to schedule an appointment.

Peterborough History

Letter from Antietam Creek
By September 25, 2014 Read More →

Letter from Antietam Creek

The Monadnock Center has a large archive of military materials including letters and diaries of Peterborough Civil War soldiers.  The following letter was written by John Addison Cummings (1838-1887), a young Army captain.  He mailed this letter from Antietam Creek on September 28, 1862 “Dear Mother: We are lying in camp here on the bank […]

The District #8 Schoolhouse
By September 2, 2014 Read More →

The District #8 Schoolhouse

The Monadnock Center for History & Culture preserves four historic buildings at its downtown Peterborough campus including the District #8 Schoolhouse. This brick one-room schoolhouse was donated to the Center in the 1990’s.  The school was built in 1824, one of several brick schoolhouses erected that year.  Peterborough was unusual because the town chose to […]

Gearing up for the 275th Anniversary Celebration
By August 18, 2014 Read More →

Gearing up for the 275th Anniversary Celebration

After more than two years of planning, the celebration of Peterborough’s 275th anniversary is just around the corner! The big celebration will happen on October 11 but there are also concerts, programs and other activities happening from October 10 through October 18 throughout town. A schedule is available on the anniversary website at Peterborough275.org. Check […]

The White Machine Shop
By August 5, 2014 Read More →

The White Machine Shop

This wooden pulley is from The White Machine Shop that operated at the corner of Elm and River Streets in Peterborough from 1876 to 1942. The pulley was part of the power train that ran the shop’s equipment using water power from the Elm Street dam.  Samuel G. White made pumps, governors, gas regulators and […]

The Shoe Factory
By July 29, 2014 Read More →

The Shoe Factory

In the 19th century Peterborough’s downtown was dominated by the various manufacturing facilities that were built to take advantage of the plentiful water power supplied by the Nubanusit and Contoocook rivers. This photograph from the Center’s archives shows the intersection of Main and Depot streets. The enormous five-story factory building behind the Baptist Church was […]

Case Study
By July 23, 2014 Read More →

Case Study

Dr. Daniel B. Cutter carried this medicine case during his long career in Peterborough.  Born in Jaffrey in 1808, Cutter studied at Dartmouth College and took his medical degree at Yale in 1835. He practiced in Ashby, Massachusetts for a few years before moving to Peterborough in 1837. From his residence on Main Street, he […]

Peterborough readies for 275th celebration
By July 16, 2014 Read More →

Peterborough readies for 275th celebration

By MEGHAN PIERCE Union Leader Correspondent PETERBOROUGH — A 1939 large scale model of the Peterborough Town Library was taken out of storage Friday to ready it for the town’s 275th anniversary parade planned for Oct. 11. The model was built for the town’s 200th anniversary parade in 1939. The creator of the model is […]

All Dolled Up
By July 14, 2014 Read More →

All Dolled Up

Sisters Maryann and Susannah Whiting played with these dolls at their home on Vine Street in Peterborough in the 1840s. Maryann and Susannah’s dolls are part of the Monadnock Center’s collection of antique dolls and toys.  Known as milliner’s dolls, these papier mache ladies were made in Europe and exported to the United States to […]

Finial Notice
By July 8, 2014 Read More →

Finial Notice

Is it a sculpture? A giant urn? Something to put in your garden? No, this unusual object is a finial from the steeple of Peterborough’s Unitarian Church. The church steeple features four of these Baroque style decorations.  The five-foot tall finial is wood painted to look like marble. This finial was found in basement of […]

The Peterborough Town House
By June 30, 2014 Read More →

The Peterborough Town House

Many in Peterborough probably don’t realize that the Town House is the third town hall to sit at the corner of Main and Grove Streets. Completed in 1862, the first town hall at the site was a building 60 by 80 feet crowned by a cupola with a four-foot gilded eagle. The eagle later graced […]