19 Grove St. ~ PO Box 58 ~ Peterborough, NH 03458 ~ 603-924-3235 

Face masks are required to visit the Monadnock Center. 

Archives Research is now by appointment only. Please contact us at (603) 924-3235 to schedule an appointment.

By June 30, 2014 Read More →

The Peterborough Town House

The Opera HouseMany in Peterborough probably don’t realize that the Town House is the third town hall to sit at the corner of Main and Grove Streets. Completed in 1862, the first town hall at the site was a building 60 by 80 feet crowned by a cupola with a four-foot gilded eagle. The eagle later graced the top of Goodnow & Derby’s Store on Grove Street.

This town hall housed five stores on the Grove Street façade as well as the Post Office and the town library.  For many years the library and post office were in the store and the south corner and the library did not have its own permanent home until 1890.  The store at the north end was occupied by J. R. Miller’s Pharmacy.

By 1886 this building was found to be structurally unsound and not adequate to the town’s needs.  A committee was appointed and they determined the building would need to be rebuilt. At that time, the roof and cupola were removed and the several new gables were added. The ‘new’ town hall was reflected the Victorian style in favor at the time and was known as the Opera House. The Opera House was demolished in 1917.