19 Grove St. ~ PO Box 58 ~ Peterborough, NH 03458 ~ 603-924-3235 

Face masks are required to visit the Monadnock Center. 

Archives Research is now by appointment only. Please contact us at (603) 924-3235 to schedule an appointment.

By August 5, 2014 Read More →

The White Machine Shop

PulleyThis wooden pulley is from The White Machine Shop that operated at the corner of Elm and River Streets in Peterborough from 1876 to 1942. The pulley was part of the power train that ran the shop’s equipment using water power from the Elm Street dam.  Samuel G. White made pumps, governors, gas regulators and other light machinery at the two-story wood factory that was formerly occupied by Granville Felt’s machine shop and Dana Bickford who manufactured knitting machines.

When automobiles came to town, White converted part of his plant to a garage, one of the first in Peterborough. White also did electrical work in town and used his shop to manufacture generators. His business continued until 1942 when he sold it to the Granite State Tool Company.  Granite State Tool machined small parts for war production until the end of World War II. The shop stood vacant for a time and was eventually converted into a residence.